Book of the Month is seeking a Creative Director to lead and shape our fast-growing lifestyle brand. You will be given a high degree of creative control, a sizable budget, and a skilled and nimble team to bring the brand to life.
Book of the Month is a monthly membership for contemporary readers, a way of discovering—and buying—the best new books to read now. We’ve been growing rapidly ever since we relaunched the brand in late 2015.
Our new Creative Director, working closely with the Head of Brand Voice and our marketing team, will bring the BOTM brand to life through innovative and beautiful creative executions across all channels. The CD will direct and execute creative for advertising campaigns, brand identity, photoshoots, print collateral, and much more. As a result, our Creative Director needs to be a hands-on designer who loves to execute and build creative.
You will …
- Define and refine the visual identity of the brand in photography, illustration, and design.
- Lead execution of all creative concepts, photography, graphic design, and typography, providing artistic direction across all channels: website, emails, Facebook, Instagram, video, and print.
- Together with our Head of Brand Voice and marketing team, lead the conception and execution of growth-focused marketing campaigns.
- Develop a distinct brand style that engages our core audience across all touch points. Note: Our core audience is young, well-educated women (age 20-35) who love reading contemporary fiction for pleasure.
- Establish a process and workflow for creative development efforts.
- Build out our creative capabilities by hiring freelancers and building the internal team where appropriate, with a special focus on our photography needs.
- Love reading contemporary fiction and have a strong understanding of what readers are looking for in their BOTM experience. ← This is essential. You are likely already a BOTM member or are highly considering it.
- Are an excellent storyteller across a variety of media.
- Have a track record, with proven examples, of developing and executing creative concepts which resonated with consumers and successfully generated the desired response in an e-commerce, or consumer products business or agency.
- Have a stunning portfolio of relevant work that demonstrates your expertise.
- Have significant experience managing and producing lifestyle and tabletop photoshoots for an e-commerce product (a background in photography is a major plus).<-- Please provide examples of this.
- Have excellent communication skills and enjoy working collaboratively with a team of diverse skill sets and opinions.
- Have 5+ years experience at an agency or internal creative agency at a brand-oriented company.