Senior Product Designer (Freelance)
Book of the Month is looking for a seasoned and versatile Senior Product Designer to work with us in a freelance capacity to execute and grow a digital product that’s as beautiful as it is functional. Working closely with the Product and Design teams to support all things product design—from wireframes, visual design, and interaction design through prototyping, implementation, and deployment. Our company is at a transformative stage and this person will help define how 1m+ monthly visitors interact with our digital product. This is a great opportunity for a seasoned product designer to take on a meaningful project and consulting engagement outside of a full-time gig.
What you’ll do here
- Design and prototype intuitive feature and site experiences that consider business, tech, and marketing needs while upholding brand standards.
- Incorporate user research, data analysis, and stakeholder feedback as you iterate on design solutions.
- Partner with PMs to support pixel-perfect development of designs.
- Maintain and evolve our product design system, style guide, and processes.
What you bring to the table
- 5+ years of in-app product design experience—especially in-house for consumer-facing products.
- A portfolio showing problem-solving ability, collaborative work style, iterative approach and strong visual and interaction design.
- Availability for at least 20 hours per week
- Self-starting ambition—we’re an early-stage startup and the people who thrive here are comfortable moving quickly and taking initiative.
- Fluency in Figma.
- Familiarity with usability metrics, relevant HCI theory, and UX best practices.
- Ability to work in a lean/agile/iterative process—sometimes “good enough” is the right decision for the business as a whole.
- Ability to be autonomous and collaborate—you know how to take ownership of your work but also know when to reach out for help.
- Ability to produce multiple concepts and variations; knowing when to apply pixel-perfect attention to detail, and when to make low-fidelity sketches.
- Design with accessibility and inclusion in mind.
- General understanding of relevant technologies to support partnering with engineers.
- Comfort presenting and defending your work to C-level stakeholders.
- Degree in interaction designer or HCI a plus but not required.
- Book of the Month is a subscription ecommerce service that gives readers their choice of the best new and early-release reads each month.
- We believe in books — and the people who write them. Each month, we feature five can’t-put-it-down books that our members might not otherwise discover. Think: new and diverse voices that you just can’t get enough of. Why? Because emerging writers offer new perspectives, and a lot of fun.
- Founded in 1926 and relaunched in 2015, the company is a startup brand with legacy vibes, located (among books) in NYC’s Flatiron District. We embrace the innovative, the experimental, and even the so-crazy-it-might-work. Anything to get more people reading — and actually enjoying it.