Lead Software Engineer
- New York, NY
- Full Time
Book of the Month is hiring a Lead Software Engineer to work with our back-end engineering team. At Book of the Month, we rely on Lead Software Engineers to navigate our engineering team through technical projects. The individual coming into this role will be heavily involved in leading the back-end engineering team as they work together to evolve our platform. The projects this individual will lead our catalog services, account services, and fulfillment operations. A successful candidate will have strong technical and communication skills, and a proven history of successfully leading teams through challenging projects.
The individual coming into this role will be joining a small, but highly collaborative and agile team, where they will be able to directly impact and contribute to the company’s product and team practices. They will work closely with our CTO and will have significant opportunities for growth at Book of the Month as we continue to grow and expand our business. This is a fantastic opportunity for experienced engineers looking to grow as a technology leader in their career.
What you will be doing....
- Plan engineering projects by working closely with product management and engineering.
- Clearly communicate project requirements to engineers by writing /assigning tickets.
- Build estimates by running poker planning and collaborating with engineers.
- Enforce code quality and correctness via code reviews.
- Program as needed to ensure the engineering team is unblocked.
- Mentor and guide junior engineers
What you should have...
- Experience with other backend languages, technologies, and services preferred.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and dynamic environment
- Interest in building fast and scalable services for our products.
- Committed to Book of the Month’s mission to help readers discover new books they love and promote the work of emerging authors
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related discipline.
- 3+ years of experience building high-quality production back-end or full-stack services required.
- 1+ years in a lead or people management capacity strongly recommended.
- Solid understanding of SQL and OLTP query optimization required.
- Strong understanding of cloud computing technologies, particularly AWS.